Re: Minimizing Mathematica file size for source code control?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83336] Re: Minimizing Mathematica file size for source code control?
  • From: "Eckhard Hennig" <aidev at n-o-s-p-a-m.kaninkolo.de>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 05:36:05 -0500 (EST)

"Albert" <awnl at arcor.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:fhjtfu$5oh$1 at smc.vnet.net...
[...]
> There is also a perl
> script that was originally written for an older mathematica version and
> rcs/cvs which does clean up image-caches and other things and can be run
> on the server side.
>
> It would need some understanding of how to install
> checkin-scripts on svn to get it run with svn but should not be terrible
> complicated. I don't know if that script is still maintained and whether
> there are problems with v6 and have no experience on how reliable this
> works.

Hi Albert,

Tim Wichmanns nbcache utilities consist of two Perl scripts. The first one,
rmnbcache, is a command-line utility supposed to be called by the notebook
author on his notebook files before checking them in. rmnbcache strips all
image and cell cache data from a notebook, thereby greatly reducing file
size. The script is independent of the source-code control system used; it
can be used with RCS, CVS, SVN, ClearCase, ... Of course, you *could* call
rmnbcache automatically in a CVS or SVN pre-commit check script, but "server
side" is not a requirement and was not the original design intention.

On the other hand, the second Perl program, testnbcache, is meant to be used
as a server-side pre-commit check script and was designed for use with CVS.
testnbcache checks if a notebook being checked in still has cache data and
rejects a commit if this is the case. If you want to use it with SVN, then
you would have to write a SVN pre-commit hook script that calls testnbcache
as a subprogram.

I am using the nbcache utilities for Mathematica up to v5.2 in both CVS and SVN
environments. I have no experience with v6 either, but since the tools are
still being used by my former colleagues for Mathematica application
development (www.analog-insydes.de) up to v6, I suppose that they still
work the way they did for previous Mathematica versions.

Best regards,

Eckhard

--
Dr.-Ing. Eckhard Hennig