Re: Mathematica v5 versus v6

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83584] Re: Mathematica v5 versus v6
  • From: Jon <jkparry at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 05:39:12 -0500 (EST)

Dear All

Thank you so far for your comments and help.
As yet I have not managed to solve this problem
concerned with computing the rank of an
8 by 8 matrix.

Some people have asked for a specific example.
The matrix which I am having a problem with is
not a simple matrix, each element of the matrix
is an analytic function and not a simple numerical
element. As a result I cannot simply post the matrix
here. If you are interested then you can simply
reply to my post and I shall email a notebook file
containing the matrix to you.

The problem I find is that, a matrix which takes
a few minutes to have it's rank computed in v5.1 or 5.2
causes v6 to run for 10 times as long without giving
an answer.

Any help, particularly from people running v6 on
64 bit machines would be very welcome.

Thanks again

jon