Re: Dynamic Timeout

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83586] Re: Dynamic Timeout
  • From: m.r at inbox.ru
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 04:04:55 -0500 (EST)

On Nov 21, 2:13 am, thomas <thomas.mue... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Mathgroup,
>
> I have created my own custom Toolbar (DockedCell) with some shortcuts
> and buttons that I frequently use. One of the items in the toolbar is
> an ActionMenu which contains calls to some of my own functions. In one
> of these functions, SystemDialogInput[] is called, with which I can
> select a subdirectory on my hard drive.
>
> ActionMenu is implemented as a Dynamic[] object in Mathematica;
> therefore, whatever action is triggered by choosing  one of the
> entries, is subject to the Timeout "feature" of Dynamic[] evaluations.
> That means that if I am not fast enough when picking my directory,
> nothing will happen, since the call has timed out. Setting the option
> SynchronousUpdating->False does not help.
>
> What does help is to increase the Timeout-time by setting
> SetOptions[$FrontEnd,DynamicEvaluationTimeout->10000] or some other
> high number.
>
> My problem is: I do not usually want the timeout to be that large, the
> normal setting of 5 or 6 seconds is quite reasonable. What I can do,
> then, is to automatically re-set DynamicEvaluationTimeout to 6 at the
> end of the function - that works. What does NOT work, however, is to
> set it to 10000 at the beginning of the function. (Actually, it does
> work, but it does not take effect yet for the currently evaluating
> Dynamic[] within which it was set to 10000.)
>
> So, the question is: how do I avoid the timeout in this case, without
> generally increasing the timeout time?
>
> thomas
>
> p.s. A very easy work-around is to call my function with the help of a
> button, instead of using an action menu. This avoids "Dynamic" and the
> problem doesn't even show up. Nevertheless, I think it should be
> possible to do such things from within an action menu (or from within
> other dynamic constructs)

You can set DynamicEvaluationTimeout -> 10000. as an option for a
single cell:

Style[ActionMenu[
  "menu", {"file" :> Print[SystemDialogInput["FileOpen"]]}],
 DynamicEvaluationTimeout -> 10000.]

SetOptions[EvaluationNotebook[],
 DockedCells -> Cell[
   BoxData@ ToBoxes@
     ActionMenu["menu",
      {"file" :> (tmp = SystemDialogInput["FileOpen"])}],
   DynamicEvaluationTimeout -> 10000.]]

Maxim Rytin
m.r at inbox.ru