Re: Mathematica 6.0 Desperation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83698] Re: Mathematica 6.0 Desperation
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at arcor.net>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 05:42:18 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

>  I have below the lines of code. I you try them, I'd wish to see if
>  you are able to make them work.
>
>  Yours sincerely,
>
>  Jesus M, Goiri
>
>  Clear[JuliaTest]
>  JuliaTest = Compile[{x, y, {n, _Integer}, {c, _Complex}},
>    Module[{z, num = 0}, z = x + y I;
>      While[Abs[z] < 2.0 && num < n, z = z^2 + c; num++]; num]]
>  DensityPlot[JuliaTest[x, y, 50, -0.75 + 0.5 I],
>  {x, 1.24, 1.27}, {y, -0.13, -0.1}, PlotPoints -> 500,
>  Mesh -> False, ColorFunction -> Hue]

They work perfectly, but you better choose a lower value for PlotPoints,
if you use PlotPoints -> 100 that will in version 6 already give a much
more detailed Plot than PlotPoints -> 500 with version 5.

My impression is that about half of the problems people report with
converting code from version 5 to version 6 are related to these
difference in performance and memory consumptions with Density-,
Contour- and 3D-Plots which definitely need other values for some
options to be set to achieve the same results as previous versions. It
these are not changed, one usually ends up crashing the kernel or is
waiting forever. Unfortunately this is not addressed in the automatic
conversion advisory tool...

hth,

albert