Unable to access v6 internal data sources (paclets)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83737] Unable to access v6 internal data sources (paclets)
  • From: "Coleman, Mark" <Mark.Coleman at LibertyMutual.com>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 06:30:11 -0500 (EST)

Greetings,

I'm running v6 on my office pc. For some reason I am unable to get any
of the built-in data sources to work, e.g., FinancialData, ChemicalData,
WordData, etc. Whenever I invoke the data function, e.g,
FinancialData["GM"], I get the message "Initializing FinancialData
Indicies..." but nothing is returned. This works on home version of Mathematica,
so I am attributing it to a firewall or security issue in my company,
which somehow blocks access to the WRI paclet server. Has anyone else
encountered this  in a corporate environment?

Thanks

Mark