Re: A problem with FindRoot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83783] Re: [mg83728] A problem with FindRoot
  • From: DrMajorBob <drmajorbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 05:24:46 -0500 (EST)

NumericQ fixes the problem (for the most part):

Clear[f]
f[x_?NumericQ] := y /. First@FindRoot[y^3 + 1 == x, {y, x}]
FindRoot[f[x] == 0, {x, 3}]

FindRoot::lstol: The line search decreased the step size to within \
tolerance specified by AccuracyGoal and PrecisionGoal but was unable \
to find a sufficient decrease in the merit function.  You may need \
more than MachinePrecision digits of working precision to meet these \
tolerances. >>

{x -> 1.}

The precision warning occurs for a very good reason, as a plot shows:

Plot[f@x, {x, 0, 5}]

Gradient methods obviously won't work well at such a point.

In addition, you're starting the inner (first) FindRoot at y = x (the
current value). To converge in the final problem x must approach 1, but y
must approach 0, so on EVERY iteration of the inner problem you're
starting far from the solution, learning nothing from previous iterations.
FindRoot manages anyway, but only barely.

So this is no way to do things unless it's really necessary.

In this case a nice option is

Clear[f]
f[x_] = Last@
   Simplify[Reduce[{y^3 + 1 == x, y \[Element] Reals}, {y}], x >= 0];
Plot[f@x, {x, 0, 5}]
Reduce[f[x] == 0, x]

x == 1

Bobby