RE: Plot3D with NDSolve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg82016] RE: Plot3D with NDSolve
  • From: "Andrew Moylan" <andrew.j.moylan at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 05:43:34 -0400 (EDT)

Szabolcs, you are right: one has to be careful with this sort of caching
manouvre, because Plot3D is liable to try to evaluate solution[a][x] for all
sorts of values of a. We can avoid this problem by using
FunctionInterpolation.

We know that FunctionInterpolation will only evaluate its argument on
rectangular lattice points when constructing its 2-D interpolation. This
means not too many different values of solution[a] are cached.

To see this, add a Print[a] statement to the definition of solution[a]. Here
is the entire proposed solution again, with the Print[a] statement added:

eqn[(a_)?NumericQ] = Derivative[1][y][x] == b/(a*y[x]) /. b -> 1

solution[(a_)?NumericQ] :=
 (
  Print[a];
  solution[a] =
   Block[{x},
    y /. NDSolve[{eqn[a], y[0] == 0.1}, y, {x, 0.1, 5}][[1]]]
  )

solution3d =
 FunctionInterpolation[solution[a][x], {a, 1, 5}, {x, 0.1, 5}]

Plot3D[solution3d[a, x], {a, 1, 5}, {x, 0.1, 5}]

When you do it this way, Plot3D can (and does) evaluate the resulting
interpolating function as much as it wants, at all sorts of values of a, but
the expensive solution[a] is only evaluated a few times.

Andrew Moylan
(PhD student)
Department of Physics, Faculty of Science
Physics Building 38a, Corner Science and Daley Roads
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200 Australia

M: 0402 4757 04
T: +61 (0)2 6125 9977