Re: filesize of EPS is too large, how to reduce it?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg82028] Re: [mg81821] filesize of EPS is too large, how to reduce it?
  • From: "Igor C. Antonio" <igora at>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 04:20:22 -0400 (EDT)

ROBERTO wrote:
> I make contourplots and then export them with
> Export["/home/file.eps",%]
> This give me very large EPS, i.e. if PlotPoints is set to 200 I get a
> 5MB EPS. I tried to convert the EPS or reduce it with tools available in
> linux, imagemagick, eps2eps, ghostscript but the visual quality of the
> result is crap.
> I imagine there is a way to produce compressed EPS exploiting Postscrit
> Level 2 specifications or there's a "standard" path to follow to go from
>  ContourPlot to an journal-submittable-size EPS (less than 100Kb)
> How can I get a EPS file less than 100K for a ContourPlot with
> PlotPoints->200 ???
> Thanks you all.
> Roberto

You haven't provided an example, so my suggestions may or may not apply.

There are some options available through the File > Save Selection As > EPS menu
that are not available through Export[] in Mathematica 6.0 (this has been
address in the next version of Mathematica).

Please take a look at the options described in this post:

from this newgroup thread:
version 6 Plot3D exporting results in HUGE files

Try them out and see if they help.

Also, please note that PlotPoints->200 in V6 is not the same as PlotPoints->200
in V5.X due to automatic adaptive sampling
It might be the case that you can decrease the number of points and still get
satisfying graphics.

Igor C. Antonio
Wolfram Research, Inc.

To email me personally, remove the dash.