ReadList -- file size limits?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg82811] ReadList -- file size limits?
- From: david.sedarsky at forbrf.lth.se
- Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 06:19:23 -0500 (EST)
- Organization: Lund University, Sweden
Is ReadList limited in some way regarding the amount of data it can read in? I have a large data file (~450M text file) and I'm doing something like the following: stream = OpenRead[fullname]; (*open file for reading*) header = ReadList[stream, String, 1](*read header strings*) header = Flatten[StringSplit[header]]; data = ReadList[stream, Number, 8(1=D710^6)]);(*read 8 columns of number data*) Close[stream]; Apparently Readlist doesn't read in the whole file. The code shown above runs fine, but data has max length of: 3278320, which corresponds to 409790 lines of the data file. Can anyone clue me in as to why this is? Is this a suitable approach for reading numbers from a very large ascii file? thanks, DS