Re: Rule-based programming: declare variables to be a number

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80832] Re: Rule-based programming: declare variables to be a number
  • From: Szabolcs <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 03:35:04 -0400 (EDT)

Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:
>   NumericQ has clearly been designed with this in mind. Note, for
> example, that althou NumericQ is Protected, a definition like
>
> NumericQ[a]=True
>
> does not require unprotecting NumericQ. Moreover, it does not add a
> DownValue to NumericQ.
>
> NumericQ[g] = True;
> DownValues[NumericQ]
> {}
>

> There are plenty of other reasons to believe that all all
> theseproperties of NumericQ are designed precisely for this type of
> use. Besides, I have another reason to think that no probems of the
> kind you are imagining would happen in this case: I have been using
> NumericQ inprecisly this way for about 10 years in numerous notebooks
> without any problems.
>
> Note alo the post from Carl Woll which, I think, can be regarded as
> an "offcial" WRI authorization for this kind of usage ;-)
>
> (However, note also that using Carl's definition:
>
> In[19]:= g /: NumericQ[g] = True;
>
> Dos not actually add an UpValue to g:
>
> UpValues[g]
> {}
>
> and I don't think it has any advantage over the more straightforward
>
> NumericQ[g] = True;
>

> I am sure all this is deliberate design, and even though it may not
> be easy to explain, it is very convenient.
>
> Andrzej Kozlowski

Thanks for the explanation!

But this is very curious.  If neither the UpValues or Attributes of g,
or the DownValues of NumericQ are changed, then where is this
information about g stored?  Is this something that is implemented at a
lower level than the Mathematica language?  Is it possible to create
other custom properties, that can be set with a command as simple as
someProperty[g] = True (without using g /: someProperty[g] = True)?

Perhaps NumericQ itself behaves similarly to DownValues, OwnValues,
etc., where it is also possible to write OwnValues[a]={a->3} directly,
but when 'a' is removed, its OwnValues are gone too.

(When 'g' is Removed, the information that NumericQ[g] === True is gone
too.)

Szabolcs