strange rounding result

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg80918] strange rounding result
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris at>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 02:59:41 -0400 (EDT)

The results of these commands are decreasing powers of ten, except the
second to last one, which gives 999/100 on my machine. I assume it has
something to do with the storage of floating point numbers in binary
rather than decimal form, but I don't know. Anyway, it just seemed
strange to me and I wanted to point it out.

Maybe it has something to do with the "round to even" behavior? Meh.