[Mathematica 6.0.1] Confusing documentation on ColorData, where to get list of ColorFunctions ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81002] [Mathematica 6.0.1] Confusing documentation on ColorData, where to get list of ColorFunctions ?
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 02:11:41 -0400 (EDT)

ref/ColorData  says

"ColorData[]
     gives a list of names collections of color schemes"

But When I type ColorData[] nothing really comes up.

Also, in ref/ColorFunction it says (2/3 down the first page)  it says

" The list of possible color function names is given by
ColorData["Gradients"] "

I am basically looking for names of ColorFunctions that I can use with

           ContourPlot[....,ColorFunction->??]

I'd like to get a list of such names to try them out. Something like in this
example

   Plot3D[Sin[x*y], {x, 0, 3}, {y, 0, 3}, ColorFunction ->
"BlueGreenYellow"]

Thanks,
Nasser