Re: Slow Show/Graphics in v6.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81006] Re: Slow Show/Graphics in v6.0
  • From: mcmcclure at unca.edu
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 02:13:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Sep 6, 5:55 am, Alex Shvydky <a... at lle.rochester.edu> wrote:
> Do I understand it correctly that you confirm that the new
> Mathematica v6.0 is upto 100 slower on sertain types
> of operations compared to v5.0???

But, of course, the operations in your example are *not*
comparable.  The structure of the V6 graphic is different
from the V5 graphic at a fundamental level and the result
is much nicer.  It is this richer structure which allows for
Opacity, interactive graphics, anti-aliasing, rotatable 3D
graphics, and all the spectacular new V6 features.

> In the meantime I will just stick with v5.2.

This is certainly not necessary.  You can always load
the V5 graphics engine as follows:
<< Version5`Graphics`

V6 will then generate generate the old style graphics,
at the old style speed.  You can switch back to V6
graphics via:
<< Version6`Graphics`

I do think it would be nice, if this feature were
documented, but I suspect that Wolfram is hoping
to discontinue it at some point.

Mark