Re: LegendreP error (bug?) in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81080] Re: LegendreP error (bug?) in Mathematica
  • From: John Ralston <ralston at ku.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:00:30 -0400 (EDT)

I find serious bugs in Mathematica 5.1 LegendreP
and SphericalHarmonicY.  It is not a matter of
definitions or syntax, but a catastrophic failure
easy to establish.  Math archives show a history
of discussion, but invariably centered on variations of definition.

Wolfram Research shows little interest.  I'm wondering if the failure
to perfom is well known and has been repaired by someone
re-writing the commands.  I don't often follow this forum, but I've joined to either get access to code that works, or to inform people so they can go after the problem.   Does anyone care?

John Ralston