Re: plot error messages are completelly missing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81068] Re: plot error messages are completelly missing
  • From: Szabolcs <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 18:54:17 -0400 (EDT)

Helen Read wrote:
> I for one am glad that I no longer see those annoying "not a machine
> size real number" messages. It's no longer a problem to plot a function
> across an interval where it is not real.

It was possible to (permanently) turn that message off in previous versions.

> For example, I can now plot
> ArcSec[x] for {x,-5,5} and get a nice looking plot, or plot Sqrt[x]
> together with Sqrt[x+5] on {x,-5,5} without having to plot them
> separately and Show. To me this is an improvement.

I agree that it is an improvement that Plot::plnr is not shown for
complex numbers (only for symbolic expressions), but why wasn't a new,
separate message added for complex numbers/infinity (it could be off by
default)?  And why isn't the new Plot::plnr on by default?  Trying to
plot a symbolic expression is almost always an (unintentional) mistake.

Szabolcs