Re: framed plots with two y axes scales

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81093] Re: framed plots with two y axes scales
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris at chiasson.name>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 03:45:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:00:00 UT, Tom Zeller <support at wolfram.com> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> The MathGroup thread for this one peters out at:
>
> http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2007/Aug/msg00684.html
>
> As far as I can tell there will be considerable coding to automate
> "nice" ticks.  I am not familiar with David Park's Draw Graphics
> package.  Is it possible that it can be updated for V6.0?  Could some
> of the TickFunction code from Tom Wickham-Jones' ExtendGraphics packages
> be of help in determining Ticks?
>
> As for the actual code, we are generally discouraged from digging into
> users code.

Even with Park's DrawGraphics code, the extra axis location and the
ticks on it had to be specified by the user. It isn't automatic like
Mathematica's. Also, I am capable of creating code that will create a
new axis with a different scaling, as shown in the initial example.
The only problem is that this is is a pain in the butt.

Mathematica is designed for, among other things, helping engineers
(including the vast majority that may not be familiar with the
structure of graphics in Mathematica). Engineers frequently need
things represented in SI and USCS units. The ability to easily
represent a quantity in two different unit systems on one chart would
be a great feature for them.

Finally, we come to the question of whether or not I have found a
problem in the drawing code, since it doesn't seem like there is a
reason for these plots to have different tick sizes:

Plot[t,{t,0,2},Frame->True]
Show[%,AbsoluteOptions[%,FrameTicks]]

What do you think?

--