Re: Input Format

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81194] Re: Input Format
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 04:10:47 -0400 (EDT)

roby.nowak at gmail.com wrote:
> hello,
> I prefer using a line by line postfix notation for sequential data
> processing.
> e.g. there is some data which has to be processed sequentialy by a
> number of dataprocessing functions, if you input the whoole thing Mathematica
> formats like this:
>
> data //
>     R //
>    S //
>   T //
>
> this is not very nice for my usage and results from the fact that Mathematica
> generates \[IndentingNewLine] for every <RETURN> key pressed..
>
> i would rather had it formatted like this (or similar):
>
> data //
>     R //
>     S //
>     T //
>
> i could enter
>
> data//\[NewLine]\[RawTab]R//\[NewLine]\[RawTab]S//\[NewLine]\
> [RawTab]T//\[NewLine]\[RawTab]U
>
> but this is not realy a pleasure.
> is there a short way to key in \[NewLine] instead of \
> [IndentingNewLine]
>
> any suggestions ?
> thx robert

Key assignments are read from the file KeyEventTranslations.tr
(SystemFiles/FrontEnd/TextResources/[Windows]).  Here is an example:

Item[(some key event),
      FrontEndExecute[{FrontEnd`NotebookWrite[FrontEnd`InputNotebook[],
      "\[NewLine]", After]}]]

Just make sure that you back up that file before you make any changes,
and do NOT create any additional .tr files in the TextResources directory.

(But I strongly advise against changing the meaning of keys like
"Return", or "Tab", so if you *really* need that \[NewLine] for your
special custom formatting, choose some other key event to override.)

--
Szabolcs