Re: Any Mathematica 6 book yet?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg81497] Re: Any Mathematica 6 book yet?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 06:35:40 -0400 (EDT)

AES wrote:

>   In article <fd7s0t$ceh$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
>   Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote:
>
>>   Or as least work with some inside authors.
>>
>>   I believe that part of the early success of Mathematica was
>>   Wolfram's carefully seeding the marketplace with encouragement, if
>>   not actual support, of a number of books about it.

Absolutely agreed.

And failing to do so this time around will cost them -- especially when
combined with the comparatively high price and the perceived complexity
of Mathematica.

I interact with a *lot* of engineering and science students and
professional researchers, and attempt to promote Mathematica as much as
I can, out of my own self interest in being able to work in it and
communicate with others about it as much as anything else.

The response, from a very substantial majority I would say, is that they
are already familiar with other competitive products that they have
encountered in their various classes, and see no reason to change.