Re: Good Introductory Text with a Physics Slant

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg81541] Re: Good Introductory Text with a Physics Slant
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 21:44:37 -0400 (EDT)

"Kevin J. McCann" <Kevin.McCann at> wrote in message
news:fddeij$9q4$1 at
>I will be teaching a course  on introductory numerical and computational
> methods to second year Physics majors in the spring. The course is
> roughly 2/3 Mathematica based and 1/3 "another computer based software
> package that is not Mathematica". (original text changed at the request
> of Steven Christensen.) Most of the students will NOT have had
> differential equations; however, I will teach them some of the basics of
> this in the first part of the semester.
> I would like your thoughts on some of the texts out there for use in
> this introductory course. I like Gass' book (out of print) and
> Blachman's book for a non-physics intro to Mathematica.
> Thanks,
> Kevin

I took a course called computational physics at UCI which is 100% based on

The professor has an EXCELLENT book, imho, (which is an electronic
Mathematica notebook). Lots of examples, and lots of good Mathematica code.
But note, this is a real physics course, not a Mathematica course, but it
uses Mathematica for all the analysis and computation.

I am not sure now what is the URL for that book, you could contact the
professor at UCI and ask him about the book, here is the class web site