Re: What is @@@?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87293] Re: What is @@@?
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 05:14:35 -0400 (EDT)

AES wrote:
> In article <ft2au1$ph5$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
>  "Kevin J. McCann" <Kevin.McCann at umbc.edu> wrote:
>
>> I have seen several references to the command @@@ in this newsgroup, but
>> a query of the online Documentation Center just refers me to Apply (@@).
>> What does it do and where can I read about it?
>
> More broadly:
>
> *  Do all the _non-alphabetical_ commands (or symbols, or operators, or
> abbreviations, or whatever is their proper appellation) like  "/.",
> "//.",  "->",  "=>",  "@",  etc, etc, etc, have a unique appellation _as
> a class_?
>
> *  Does each of these non-alphabetical constructs also have a unique
> individual name?
>
> *  Suppose one wanted to get a complete (complete!) list of all of these
> non-alphabetical constructs, their names, and maybe a brief description
> of their meaning, to use maybe as a reference list, a crib sheet, or
> just to see which of them one hasn't learned yet.  Where would one go?

I remembered that there was a table in the documentation listing all
operators in order of decreasing *precedence*.  It is very easy to find
by searching for "precedence" in the hand compiled master index of the
v5 documentation.  But after having searched for 10 minutes, I just
don't have any more patience to look it up in the v6 documentation ...

So here's the v5 doc link:

http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/book/section-A.2.7