Re: exporting to multiple sheets in XLS format

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87481] Re: exporting to multiple sheets in XLS format
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 01:47:06 -0400 (EDT)

On 4/10/08 at 2:12 AM, peter.russo at protiviti.com (Russo, Peter
(10170)) wrote:

>Is there a way to export to multiple worksheets in excel XLS
>format

Yes. If your expression is say a m X n X k array you will find k
worksheets in the file resulting from Export["filename.xls",array,"XLS"]

>When importing, you can choose which sheet to import from, for
>example:

>Import["sample.xls",{"Data",2}]

>will import the data fields from worksheet 2.

>However, is there a way to do the same sort of thing with export=3F

I am not aware of a way to write to a given worksheet. Possibly,
a similar command syntax will work with Export.

>Or even better, write to many worksheets all at once (in the same
>XLS object )

Export does this by default

>or the ability to append worksheets to already created XLS document.

I don't know whether this is possible or not but I strongly
doubt that it is.

One thing to keep in mind. The limits for the size of arrays in
Mathematica greatly exceed those allowed in some versions of
Excel. Obviously, there is no way for Export to fix this.

Also, the amount of time Mathematic uses (at least on my system)
to export to XLS format gets to be quite significant for large
files. Simply put, XLS is not a native Mathematica format and a
lot has to be done to convert things into this format.