Mathematica 9 is now available
Services & Resources / Wolfram Forums / MathGroup Archive
-----

MathGroup Archive 2008

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Dynamic

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87463] Re: Dynamic
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 01:43:43 -0400 (EDT)
  • References: <ftfeji$bue$1@smc.vnet.net>


Hi Gianluca,

whow, what stamina!

I can not explain all quircks, but what matters is:

- if you have an expression that you want dynamically updated, you must 

wrap it with Dynamic. p+1 is not updated. Dynamic[p]+1 only updates p 

not the sum. Therefore, you need: Dynamic[p+1].

- FullForm sort of creates an inactive print form (sorry can not explain 

it better)

hop this helps, Daniel



Gianluca Gorni wrote:

> Hi!

> 

> I am trying to learn how the new Dynamic features work.

> 

> The following two Manipulate expressions give outputs that

> make perfect intuitive sense to me:

> 

> Manipulate[q = p + 1;

>   q,

>   {p, 0, 1}]

> 

> Manipulate[q = p + 1;

>   FullForm@q,

>   {p, 0, 1}]

> 

> (don't keep both outputs active at the same time

> if you are short on battery power!)

> 

> When I try to reproduce similar effects with

> DynamicModule, I get all sorts of different behaviours.

> Compare the following:

> 

> DynamicModule[{p = 0, q},

>   q = p + 1;

>   {Slider[Dynamic@p], q}]

> 

> DynamicModule[{p = 0, q},

>   q = p + 1;

>   {Slider[Dynamic@p], Dynamic@q}]

> 

> DynamicModule[{p = 0, q},

>   q = Dynamic[p] + 1;

>   {Slider[Dynamic@p], q}]

> 

> DynamicModule[{p = 0, q},

>   q = Dynamic[p] + 1;

>   {Slider[Dynamic@p], FullForm@q}]

> 

> DynamicModule[{p = 0, q},

>   q = Dynamic[p] + 1;

>   {Slider[Dynamic@p], FullForm@Dynamic@q}]

> 

> DynamicModule[{p = 0, q},

>   q = Dynamic[p] + 1;

>   {Slider[Dynamic@p], Dynamic@FullForm@q}]

> 

> DynamicModule[{p = 0, q},

>   q = Dynamic[p + 1];

>   {Slider[Dynamic@p], q}]

> 

> DynamicModule[{p = 0, q},

>   q = Dynamic[p + 1];

>   {Slider[Dynamic@p], q[[1, 1]]}]

> 

> DynamicModule[{p = 0, q},

>   q = Dynamic[p + 1];

>   {Slider[Dynamic@p], q[[1, 2]]}]

> 

> DynamicModule[{p = 0, q},

>   q = Dynamic[p + 1];

>   {Slider[Dynamic@p], Dynamic@q}]

> 

> DynamicModule[{p = 0, q},

>   q = Dynamic[p + 1];

>   {Slider[Dynamic@p], Dynamic[q[[1, 1]]]}]

> 

> DynamicModule[{p = 0, q},

>   q = Dynamic[p + 1];

>   {Slider[Dynamic@p], Dynamic[q[[1, 2]]]}]

> 

> DynamicModule[{p = 0, q},

>   q = Dynamic[p + 1];

>   {Slider[Dynamic@p], FullForm@q}]

> 

> DynamicModule[{p = 0, q},

>   q = Dynamic[p + 1];

>   {Slider[Dynamic@p], Dynamic@FullForm@q}]

> 

> DynamicModule[{p = 0, q},

>   q = Dynamic[p + 1];

>   {Slider[Dynamic@p], FullForm@Dynamic@q}]

> 

> Right now all I need is a few kind words of encouragement

> from somebody who has already mastered dynamic interactivity...

> 

> Gianluca

> 

> 




  • Prev by Date: Re: What is @@@?
  • Next by Date: Re: Re: Pattern problem: How to count from a long list of numbers
  • Previous by thread: Re: Dynamic
  • Next by thread: pdf and accents