Re: Import .xlsx files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87541] Re: Import .xlsx files
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:01:45 -0400 (EDT)

On 4/11/08 at 1:42 AM, dmaxwarren at gmail.com (dr DanW) wrote:

>I agree that Excel stinks as a data exchange format, but it is a
>(sometimes unpleasant) fact of life.  The Open->Save As->CSV cycle
>works (if you can find those commands at all in Excel 2007) for one
>or two files, but I might get an entire folder of files to
>analyze. I already use Import[..., "XLS"] this way a lot.

>I am also aware of Mathematica Link for Excel, which I believe is
>compatible with the new formats, but I bounce between Windows and
>MacOS X.  Link for Excel, or even the .NET technology behind Link
>for Excel, does not exist on the Mac platform.

I don't understand what it is you are trying to achieve here.
Like you, I also bounce from Macs (my perferred machine) to
Windows based machines. But I don't see what this has to do with
getting data in or out of Excel.

You indicate an awareness Excel isn't a good data exchange
format. So, why use Excel at all? Mathematica is a far superior
tool for any kind scientific or technical analysis I can think
of than Excel.

>Although of course I welcome all comments and help from the general
>participants in this users group, my posting is really directed at
>the Wolfram developers who monitor this group, hoping to encourage
>them to add .XLSX as an Import format.

Given the ubiquity of Excel, I suspect Wolfram will at some
point support that format.