Re: FinancialData problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87565] Re: FinancialData problems
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 03:31:40 -0400 (EDT)

Donald DuBois wrote:
> One of the examples in the Doc Center
>
> for FinancialData[]  is
>
> FinancialData["^DJI", "Name"]
>
> which should return the
> English language name for the DJI (Dow Jones Industrials).
>
> In the example in the Doc Center it returns
>
> "DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE I".
>
> which makes perfect sense.
>
> This example is under (for the FinancialData function):
>
>  Scope  | Names and Identifiers | Specifying Exchanges |
> | Getting Names and Identifiers | Groups and Sectors   | Other Financial Instruments
>
> But when I evaluate it I get
>
> Missing["NotAvailable"]
>
> instead of
>
> "DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE I".
>
> This has been happening since Sept. 2007 when I first
> alerted Wolfram which they acknowledged was a bug.
>

> There are plenty of other examples that don't work
> as well with FinancialData  such as
>

> FinancialData["FMAGX","Name"]
>
> However, it still doesnâ??t work properly.
> Have others noticed this problem?
> Are there any clever work arounds?
>

> Also, if I evaluate the Example in the Doc Center
>

> Length[FinancialData["Exchanges"]]
>
> this should give the "total number of exchanges
> supported" [according to the Doc Center].
>
> I get 66 instead of what the documentation says
> which is 85.  Is this an indication that
> Wolfram is pulling back from supporting FinancialData[] as originally conceived since the number of Exchanges that
> are now available has gone from 85 to 66?

Don,

I am afraid this might be not of great help, but I got similar results
when testing the expression on my system.

In[1]:= FinancialData["^DJI", "Name"]

Out[1]= Missing["NotAvailable"]

In[2]:= FinancialData["FMAGX", "Name"]

Out[2]= Missing["NotAvailable"]

In[3]:= Length[FinancialData["Exchanges"]]

Out[3]= 66

In[4]:= $Version

Out[4]= "6.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (February 7, 2008)"

Regards,
-- Jean-Marc