Re: Deleting Integrate[] transformation rule

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87629] Re: Deleting Integrate[] transformation rule
  • From: Szabolcs <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 05:45:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Apr 14, 11:44 am, UHAP023 at alpha1.rhbnc.ac.uk wrote:

> My apologies. I typed the above in a rush, hence the syntax errors --
> including I notice an extraneous ']' in the derivative expression.
> However you did not address the question.  It must be possible to
> Unprotect Integrate[] and modify it to remove the transformation rule that
> it uses to pattern match and convert integrand expressions of the form
> 1/Sqrt[1-m*Sin[phi]^2] to resultant integral expressions of the form
> EllipticF[phi,m] -- thus preventing EllipticF[] appearing in any result
> produced by Integrate[].  It is unclear to me from the Mathematica 4.0 docs
> I have how to do this.  The Hold* family of functions, HoldComplete in
> particular look relevant??  Can anybody confirm/refute and supply a worked
> example of this procedure?

Hi Tom,

It is not possible to access the source code of Integrate (some parts
of it are not even written in the Mathematica language, but
implemented at a lower level).  Even if we had access to the source
code, I imagine that modifying it would not be a trivial task.
(Unlike derivation, symbolic integration cannot generally be done by
simply applying a set of transformation rules recursively.)

You will find some notes about the implementation of Integrate here:

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/note/SomeNotesOnInternalImplementation.html