Re: PolarPlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87828] Re: PolarPlot
  • From: Helen Read <read at math.uvm.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 02:39:29 -0400 (EDT)

dh wrote:

> Hi Helen,
>>
>> just saw your reply. A coordinate system as you propose would assign
>>
>> more than one coordinate tuple to any point. Although I can see
>>
>> aplications in graphics (cycloids...), I do not think that this makes
>>
>> life easier for calculations. There are enough problems with unique
>>
>> maps, no need to make artificial ones.

I am not proposing anything. If you consult any calculus textbook, you
will see that defining r as a directed distance (which may be negative)
is *standard*.

And as for non-unique coordinates, this would be the case for polar
coordinates even if we only allowed non-negative r, since you can always
add or subtract any multiple of 2Pi from the angle.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont