Re: Abs[x] function
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg87845] Re: Abs[x] function
- From: Szabolcs <szhorvat at gmail.com>
- Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 07:10:27 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On 18 Apr, 08:39, Vladislav <kazimi... at yahoo.co.uk> wrote: > Who can explain the behavior. THe derivative Abs[x] at x=.5 is well > defined and is equal to 1. > > In:= D[Abs[x], x] > > Out= > \!\(\*SuperscriptBox["Abs", "\[Prime]", > MultilineFunction->None]\)[x] > > In:= % /. x -> .5 > > Out= > \!\(\*SuperscriptBox["Abs", "\[Prime]", > MultilineFunction->None]\)[0.5] Hi, Please use "copy as plain text" when pasting Mathematica expressions, so it will be easier to read them. Just use FunctionExpand on the result to get a concrete value.