Re: Print[Plot] vs Print[text,Plot]?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg87945] Re: Print[Plot] vs Print[text,Plot]?
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 03:23:47 -0400 (EDT)

AES wrote:

> I've just executed a test cell containing
>
>    Print[Plot[---]];
>    Print["Some text\n", Plot[---]];
>
> (same simple plot in both lines; objective of 2nd line being to get the
> text and the plot -- eventually several plots -- into the same output
> cell)

<snip>

Getting precise control of the size and position of graphics objects --
possibly mixed with text strings -- can be achieve thanks to commands
such as Column, Row, GraphicsRow, GraphicsColumn, Inset, etc.

For instance, the above "example" can be written

     Column[{"Some text", Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 10}]}]

The output should be more of your liking. (Note that we have not use any
of the available options.)

Print is of really use when one wants to display some information within
a loop or block structure.

     Do[Print[Column[{"Some text", Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 10}]}]];
      Print["Some other text"], {3}]

Regards,
-- Jean-Marc