Re: Base function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg88186] Re: Base function
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 07:00:44 -0400 (EDT)

Szabolcs Horvát wrote:
> haitomi wrote:
>>
>> ((1*12 + 4)*11 + 4)*10 + 4
>>
>> 1804
>>
>> I need help with a function find the Calander "base"
>>
>> Cbase[1804,{12,11,10}]
>>
>> out put will be
>> {1,4,4,4}
>
> I don't understand the question.  Why shouldn't it return e.g. {1, 3,
> 15, 4} ?  After all, ((1*12 + 3)*11 + 15)*10 + 4 == 1804

All right ... Now that I read the other responses, I understand what the
question was.  But it still wouldn't hurt if you tried to formulate the
problem precisely.  Maybe it would even lead you to the solution ...

I searched Google, Mathworld and Wikipedia for "Calander" and "Calander
base", but all I could find is that "calander" is either a misspelling
of "calender", which is a machine used in making paper, or an obsolete
variation on the spelling of the name of a species of lark.

So I still have no clue about where you got this term from.  I would be
glad if someone could enlighten me.