Re: Wolfram User Interface Research?

In article <fv1mdf$ona$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:

> You seem to have completely missed my point. You complained about
> "abstruse" Mathematica symbols such as @, /@, @@ etc. You seem to be
> oblivious to the fact that
>
> 1. You never need to use them yourself. Each of them can be replaced
> by a much more "readable form".
> 2. TeX uses special forms such as {,$, &, %,\ and plenty of even more
> "abstruse" instructions. A typical fragment of TeX code looks like this:

Not sure I complained about these.  In fact I routinely use a number of
them --- but also find others in fact mysterious or arcane, for me
anyway.

What I did ask for --- would still ask for --- was, first of all the
proper technical name for this class of non-alphabetical symbols or
commands or operators in Mathematica? -- what they're called as a group,
to distinguish them from alphabetical symbol names? --- so I could ask
about them properly.

Second and more important, I asked where, if anywhere, I could find (in
a single place) a short list (like perhaps a half-dozen page or less)
summarizing _all_ of these non-alphabetical operators, with a brief
statement of what each of them does, or what it's good for --- so that I
could identify ones I'd missed and decide which of these I might want to
learn more about.

I'd still be happy to have an answer to this query.

And thirdly, I frankly think it would be an interesting exercise in
interface research --- and a _useful_ one for Wolfram's interface
designers --- to have some systematic data on which of these
non-alphabetical operators are heavily used and which are seldom used,
by different categories of Mathematica users.  I'd at least have an
interest in that, out of pure curiosity.