Re: Change integral variables

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg88222] Re: Change integral variables
  • From: Peter Breitfeld <phbrf at>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 06:46:41 -0400 (EDT)

Budaoy schrieb:
> In Mathematica, how can I change integral variables? For example in
> integration:
> Integrate[Sin[Sqrt[x]], x] if I want to use t^2=x to instead x in the
> integral, how can I achieve this?
> PS: Does Mathematica have a inertial form of some symbolic command,
> for instance, the above integration, if I only want an integration
> form but not an answer, what can I do?
> Thanks.

I don't know of any inertial form to do this, but there are two

In=  f[x_] := Sin[Sqrt[x]];
     Integrate[f[x], x]
     ii = f[x] dx
     tRule = {x -> t^2, dx -> 2 t}
     it = Simplify[(ii /. tRule), t >= 0]

Out= ...
     2 dt Sin[t]

The other possibility is David Park's Presentations package, which
includes a "StudentsIntegral". You would write then:

to get the output (I write it in LaTeX notation):

\int Sin[x] dx

Gruss Peter
Peter Breitfeld, Bad Saulgau, Germany --