Re: Does Mathematica really need more printed, introductory documentation?

In article <fv6uhs$rk2$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:

> Is it really "reality based" to be comparing books about Adobe
> Illustrator (all versions going as far back as 2003) with books only
> about version 6 of Mathematica ? Sounds to me more like a reflection
> in a distorting mirror masquerading as "reality"  (something
> unfortunately very common these days in the media and in large
> sections of the Academia).

      Andrzej, it's Wolfram itself has portrayed version 6
      as a massive and major upgrade --- "Wolfram reinvents
      Mathematica!" --- "500 major new features" --- "a
      revolutionary new version" --- which also involves
      significant features of previous versions being
      removed, replaced, or changed in major ways.

      And of the 12 Illustrator manuals I listed, nine of them have
      publication dates in 2007 and are (or at least claim to be)
      updated for Illustrator's current versions as of those dates
      --- for a product whose upgrades have been, I think it's fair
      to say, much more gradual and evolutionary in character
      than Mathematica's v5 to v6 upgrade.

      I included the three items from 2006, 2005 and 2003 only
      for historical interest, since they apparently hadn't --- yet,
      anyway --- been updated.  I think my amazon search on the
      string "Adobe Illustrator" actually brought up something
      over 2000 hits (though of course there have nowhere that
      many actual earlier books).

      Beyond these facts, I think I'll let the remainder of your
      comments speak for themselves.