Re: Denoting a Cartesian Product

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg91002] Re: [mg90937] Denoting a Cartesian Product
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 03:28:21 -0400 (EDT)

Ordinarily, the n-fold cartesian product of a single set B would be
denoted B^n  (with a superscript)!

If you want the cartesian product of a family of sets B_1, B_2, ...,
B_n, then the usual notation would be the one you get from the Basic
Math Input palette, with a large pi-type product sign.

Unfortunately, that's a rotten notation -- and this has nothing to do
with Mathematica per se, but with mathematicians and, more likely,
typographers.  The "obvious" thing to do is what you almost suggest,
that is, to have a large Times sign instead of that large pi-like
product sign.  But one cannot simply magnify the small Times sign, since
the proportions will be wrong: the width needs to have a smaller ratio
to the height after the magnification.

Bruce Colletti wrote:
> Re Mathematica 6.0.3 under WinXP.
> In a text cell, how would I denote the n-fold Cartesian Product of set B (without saying B x B x ... x B)?
> I've used the basic input palette's summation button, replacing sigma by X, but the look isn't right (by setting ScriptLevel to 0, indexing appears over and under the X).  Am hoping there's an easy way.
> Thanks.
> Bruce

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305