Re: Exported PDFs are too big in file size.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91056] Re: Exported PDFs are too big in file size.
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 04:00:11 -0400 (EDT)

Bob F wrote:

> On Aug 3, 3:34 am, tuab... at gmail.com wrote:
>> One possible workaround is to use PDFcreator (just google for this
>> name to get the program, which is free). Once installed, it is a
>> virtual printer to which you can send files and get a pdf. With your
>> example, I get a 3.7 Mb pdf file using the export command from
>> Mathematica, and  a 164 Kb pdf file with pdfcreator (and it looks good
>> once opened).

<snip>

> Note that PDFCreator is a Windows program. Is there something similar
> that also works with Mac OS X?

Mac OS X can *natively* save files and documents as PDF files from any
applications that have print capability, because Mac OS X comes with a
built-in PDF writer and reader engine.

In the lower-left of every Print dialog you can see a "PDF" button that
allows to save your document to a PDF file.

Even more, in the same print dialog, you also have a "Preview" button
that will render your document the Mac OS X built-in program *Preview*,
  form there you can save your work as a PDF or to a variety of image
formats.

(Note that Preview is also accessible as a stand alone program and can
merge different files or reorganize the layout of the document, and much
more...)

Regards,
-- Jean-Marc