Re: Can not run Mathematica 6.0.3 on Fedora 9

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91080] Re: Can not run Mathematica 6.0.3 on Fedora 9
  • From: paul.knowles at gmail.com
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 06:27:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Aug 3, 11:33 am, Paul Smith <phh... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have just installed Mathematica 6.0.3 on Fedora 9, but when I start
> it, I get the following error:
>
> An error has occurred while Mathematica was starting up. Mathematica
> may not function properly until this problem is resolved. You may
> choose to continue anyway, but you could encounter additional
> problem.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

I have the same problem, however, since I have several computers I
checked that:
1) running Mathematica on the (x86_64) machine in a local X session
dies
2) running math (the kernel only) in terminal local to the machine
works
3) running Mathematica via remote ssh session from a fedora 5 box
works!

My suspicion is very much font/font-server related at the moment.
FC9 has xfs off by default for some reason...

cheers,
.p.