Re: Can not run Mathematica 6.0.3 on Fedora 9

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91084] Re: Can not run Mathematica 6.0.3 on Fedora 9
  • From: paul.knowles at gmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 05:02:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Aug 5, 10:03 am, kbkb <kbkb... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 3, 5:33 am, Paul Smith <phh... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
>
> > I have just installed Mathematica 6.0.3 onFedora9, but when I start
> > it, I get the following error:
>
> > An error has occurred while Mathematica was starting up. Mathematica
> > may not function properly until this problem is resolved. You may
> > choose to continue anyway, but you could encounter additional
> > problem.
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> > Paul
>
> Same here. It was working until I did "yum update" today....

It seems to be related to X and FC9.
I have installations of mathematica 6.0 on i386 and x86_64 machines,
of both fc5 and fc9 vintages.  selinux is _disabled_ on all machines.
>From the fc5 machines, mathematica starts locally and runs on local
displays without a problem.  After an ssh login to the fc9 remote
machine, mathematica can start and run normally with display on the
fc5 X session.  From the fc9 machines, ssh to the fc5 machine and run
mathematica works and displays on the local fc9 X display.  Local
running
of mathematica on the fc9 machines is hooped (including -
defaultvisual)
and ssh to another fc9 machine does not either give a functional
system.

luck.
.p.