Re: Mathematica and Mathieu DEQ Results?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg91164] Re: Mathematica and Mathieu DEQ Results?
- From: Roman <rschmied at gmail.com>
- Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 07:13:21 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Hi, 1) your DEQ is misspelled. I'll assume you meant DSolve[x''[t] + (4 Pi^2 - 2 ((-Pi^2/5) Cos[2 (Pi t)/100])) x[t] == 0, x[t], t] 2) your DEQ is of second order, so there are only two independent solutions; AFAIK there is no way that there could be more non-unique solutions. 3) the easiest way of checking the answers is back-substitution: you'll see that one answer (by Mathematica) is correct and the other (by mathworld) is not. Roman.