Fourier-Motzkin elimination

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91390] Fourier-Motzkin elimination
  • From: Ravi Balasubramanian <bravi at cs.washington.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 07:16:52 -0400 (EDT)

Hello friends,

I have a set of inequalities

A . x <= b,

where x is a six-element symbolic vector {x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x6}, A is
a 14x6 matrix, and b is a  14-element vector.

I want to reduce these inequalities to two variables, say, x5 and x6, so
that I can visualize these constraints.  For example, I want to
transform the above inequalities to the form:

A2 . {x5, x6} <= b2

Apparently, this process is called Fourier-Motzkin elimination where you
can choose which variables to eliminate.  Is there a Mathematica package
to do this?

Ravi
The University of Washington
Seattle, WA