Conflicting Switch Statements

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91394] Conflicting Switch Statements
  • From: Todd Allen <genesplicer28 at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 04:03:13 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Folks,

   Why is it if you place 2 switch statements next to each other (as in the test code below), the presence of the second switch interferes with proper execution of the first?

   I feel like I'm missing something fundamental.  Would you have any ideas on how to make both switch statements co-exist peacefully, as I really need a good way to control which portions of code get executed inside a manipulate statement?

Best regards,
Todd

Manipulate[

Switch[var1,0,(result=1),1,(result=2)];

Switch[var2,0,(result=3),1,(result=4)];

result,

{{var1,0},{0->"Ok",1->"Now"},ControlType->PopupMenu},

{{var2,0},{0->"Please",1->"Work"},ControlType->PopupMenu}]