Re: Mathematica and Jaws

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91410] Re: Mathematica and Jaws
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 06:23:12 -0400 (EDT)

Grischika at mail.ru wrote:
> Hello!
> I have some questions on working with Mathmatica 6.0 by means of Jaws.
> Jaws is screenreader for poor eyesight users. This program can
> pronounce only textual information. So, there is a problem with
> reading two-level expression in Mathematica, Greek letters and so on.
> Jaws can read inputform expression, but not standardform and
> outputform (as I believe it is  due to boxes).
> So, the questions are:
> 1. How to make Mathematica complitly work in inputform?
> 2. How to make Mathematica preferences dialog became readable? The
> ordinary Window's dialoges are readable but Mathematica's not.
> 3. If there way to make all Mathematica settings in notepad or in nb
> file?
> 4. How to make Messages (and information ? ) to be generated in
> inputform, not in boxes, but jast like plain text?
> 5. If there way to convert help into textform or inputform with no
> boxes?
> 6. What setting you use (if you work with Jaws) to better working with
> Jaws and Mathematica?
> 7. How to make Greek letters readable?
>
> Any sugestions are helpful!
> Thank you in advance.

Is this for you personally, or is it part of a larger project, where
more effort might be appropriate. If it is for you personally, and you
are partially sighted, I would explore the notebook magnification
control in the bottom right hand side of every notebook, that can give
you up to 300% magnification if you need it. You could also create a
stylesheet using very large fonts.

I would imagine that spoken inputform will be very hard to comprehend if
the expressions are at all complicated. If Jaws has an API, accessible
from Java, it might be more effective to write a Mathematica program to
interpret some subset of expressions in a mathematically meaningful way.
You could attach this to $Post so that each line of output would be
interpreted as it was generated.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk