Re: Eliminating intermediate results

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg91533] Re: [mg91515] Eliminating intermediate results
  • From: "Eugene Kirpichov" <ekirpichov at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 06:56:53 -0400 (EDT)

To the best of my knowledge, Mathematica is not able to do any of such
optimizations automatically.
It may well turn out that they are extremely hard to be implemented
correctly and even harder to be proved correct, considering
Mathematica's radically different approach to evaluation. In Haskell
these optimizations are possible due to all polymorphic functions
being natural transformations, whereas Mathematica's rewrite engine
and uncontrolled side-effects are very far from providing that.
So I guess you will have to either live with it or use Haskell ;)
Or probably implement a sub-language inside Mathematica and write
these rewriting optimizations yourself for some particular cases, like

Optimizations = Dispatch[{
  Select[Range[a_,b_], pred_] :> SelectOptimizedForRange[a,b,pred],
... (several dozen more)
}]
MyEval[expr_] := Evaluate[expr /. Optimizations]
SetAttributes[MyEval, Hold]

MyEval[Select[Range[10,100], EvenQ]]