Monitoring/collecting evaluations

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg91609] Monitoring/collecting evaluations
  • From: vasil michev <michev at>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 04:10:23 -0400 (EDT)

Is there a way (built-in function) to monitor the steps taken in
evaluation or collect sample points without doubling the evaluation
time? Tried using EvaluationMonitor with/without Sow/Reap and the
results are almost the same, and not using it takes twice less time.
here are some code samples:

(a fairly common function in physics, with few secs evaluation time)

(just the plot)

(simple monitoring)
69.2440000 -> double time, as f[x] is evaluaed twice

{plot,evals}=Reap[Plot[f[x],{x,0,1}, PlotRange->All,PlotPoints-
69.5930000 -> same

(Monitoring with Sow/Reap)
{plot,evals}=Reap[Monitor[Plot[f[x],{x,0,1}, PlotRange->All,PlotPoints-
69.8420000 -> same

So, does anyone know how to achieve that? Im usualy dealing with
ContourPlot3D's of similar integrals, each of which takes a minute to
evaluate, and I do it for a lot of points, there's quite a difference
between calculation running for a week or 2 weeks. I know it takes
just a few lines of code to do this, but im looking for something
applicable to a broader range of functions