Calculating with Units

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg93997] Calculating with Units
  • From: Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus at rath.org>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 07:02:08 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

Until now, I have always defined my units manually in terms of
the 4 base units Kilogram, Meter, Coulomb and Second:

Newton = Kg Meter / Second^2;
Joule = Newton Meter;
Henry = Weber / Ampere;
Weber = Volt Second;
etc.

This allows me to evaluate expressions like

B = (\[Mu] Ii)/(2 \[Pi] r);

B /. { r -> 20 Meter, \[Mu] -> 4 \[Pi]  * 10^-7 Henry/Meter,
  Ii -> 2 Ampere}

% / Tesla

and directly see if the units in the final result are correct.

But since all these units (and many more) are already defined in the
Mathematica Units package, I was wondering if there isn't a way to use
that package in the same way. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to
simplify the units, i.e. when I enter

(Ampere Henry)/(Meter Meter) // Simplify // SI

I get the same expression back. What I would like to get is either
"Tesla" or "Kilo Gram / (Coulomb Second)".  Is there a way to
accomplish this?

Best,

   -Nikolaus

--
 =C2=BBIt is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority.
  By definition, there are already enough people to do that.=C2=AB