Re: InstallJava::fail

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94059] Re: InstallJava::fail
  • From: Helen Read <read at math.uvm.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 05:45:22 -0500 (EST)

David Bailey wrote:
> Schaber wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Each time I start Mathematica 6 and sometimes when displaying graphics,
>> I get the error message "JLink`InstallJava::fail: A link to the Java
>> runtime could not be established."
>>

>> But I have Java 6 update 10 installed.
>>
>> Any idea?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> joerg
>>
> Mathematica uses its own copy of Java (version 6 uses Java 5) - so the
> version you have loaded externally is irrelevant.
>
> I do remember someone else reporting something similar, and it turned
> out to be a clash with other software on their machine.

That would be me. It was pervasive on campus and on home computers. The
problem went away when we added an exclusion for the Mathematica
installation directory in NOD32. I think the issue went away with a
later release, though (6.0.2ish) and we no longer need the exclusions.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont