alternating colors of bars in Histogram (Mathematica 7)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94052] alternating colors of bars in Histogram (Mathematica 7)
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 05:44:07 -0500 (EST)

With the old Histogram` package in Mathematica 6, I could alternate the
colors of the bars using a Style option, e.g.:

   <<Histograms`
   Histogram[RandomReal[NormalDistribution[50,10], 200],
      HistogramCategories -> Range[0, 100, 5],
      BarStyle ->  {Red, Blue}]

How do I accomplish the same thing with the built-in Histogram function
in Mathematica 7?  The documentation seems to suggest using the
ChartStyle option, and the ref page on ChartStyle even says,
"ChartStyle->{Subscript[g, 1],Subscript[g, 2],\[Ellipsis]} specifies
that successive directives Subscript[g, i] should be used cyclically for
successive elements in each dataset."

Nonetheless, the following in Mathematica 7 (without loading the old
package) colors all the bars Red:

   Histogram[RandomReal[NormalDistribution[50, 10], 200], {0, 100, 5},
     ChartStyle -> {Red, Blue}]

Perhaps ColorFunction is the option to use, but I don't see how to make
it depend upon the bin rather than upon the height.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305