Re: Re: v.7.0 issues

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94046] Re: [mg93986] Re: v.7.0 issues
  • From: "Jason Ledbetter" <jasonbrent at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 05:43:02 -0500 (EST)

I am a new Mathematica user as of ~February. I purchased it out of my own
pocket to assist me with my day job.. thankfully my employer reimbursed me
without asking. Over the first 6 months of usage, my primary interaction
with mathematica was as a fancy calculator -- the primary limiting factor
being the steep learning curve of Mathematica for someone who isn't
formally trained in Mathematics coupled with the lack of a linear set
of documention that could be read off screen.

A few months ago I found Mathematica Navigator which helped me tremendously
with learning about how to get more out of Mathematica 6... I'm to the
point where I'm creating notebooks that can be provided to others and
used through player...  I would absolutely love to see player pro become
completely free so I can share my work with others.... mind you, I am
coming from the perspective of trying to find a cost effective solution
for my employer.

My points:

(1) The lack of linear documentation made it difficult to get into
mathematica.. I'm slowly climbing the (possibly asymptotic!) learnign curve
though.

(2) A free player pro would be very welcome... I could share work without
having others learn mathematica.

(3) I sure wish webMathematica wasn't effectively a lease.. .that would make
the lack of a free player pro mute financially.

-jbl