Re: Copying text out of mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94079] Re: Copying text out of mathematica
  • From: amannuc1 <Anthony.J.Mannucci at jpl.nasa.gov>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 07:15:44 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 1, 9:30 pm, John Fultz <jfu... at wolfram.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 07:01:25 -0500 (EST), Mariano Su=E1rez-Alvarez wrote=
:
> > Hi all,
>
> > this is probably silly, but anyways... How do I copy text out of
> > Mathematica (6.0.3, Linux) as plain text without the really, really
> > annoying \ characters that Mathematica adds to mark line breaks?
> > How does one control the line-length used by InputForm, for example,
> > when doing things like
>
> > InputForm@ StringJoin@ Table["a", {160}]
>
> > Cheers,
>
> > -- m
>
> By default, copying Input or Output cells from Mathematica goes to a grea=
t deal
> of trouble to preserve evaluation properties.  But to simply copy what =
you see,
> just do Copy As->Plain Text.  Copying this way has an infinite width,
> incidentally...so the only line breaks which will be copied are those whi=
ch are
> explicitly in the thing you copied.
>
> Copy As Plain Text also has a keyboard shortcut, Ctrl+Shift+C (or Cmd+Shi=
ft+C on
> the Mac).
>
> Sincerely,
>
> John Fultz
> jfu... at wolfram.com
> User Interface Group
> Wolfram Research, Inc.

I tend to have the line break problem. I copy as plain text and all
sorts of line break character sequences are inserted. It depends on
which line I copy. For example, this is a paste from a "Copy as plain
text" operation:
Off[General::spell1];

But so is this (the next line in my notebook):
\!\(\*
  RowBox[{\(ngps\  = \ 1.0;\), " ",
    RowBox[{"(*", " ",
      StyleBox[\(n\_t\),
        FontSlant->"Italic"], " ", "*)"}], "\[IndentingNewLine]"}]\)

What gives here? All that the notebook has is:
ngps = 1.0; (* nt *)
where the t is actually a subscript. Is the problem due to introducing
subscripts???

-Tony