Subtle but nasty problem with NMaximize

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94218] Subtle but nasty problem with NMaximize
  • From: Hannes Kessler <HannesKessler at hushmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 06:21:59 -0500 (EST)

Dear all,

the following example returns $Failed without printing actually any
messages:

data = Map[Function[x, {x, Sin[x]}], Range[0, Pi, Pi/4]];
ipol = Interpolation[data];
Check[NMaximize[{ipol[x], 0 <= x <= Pi}, {x}],$Failed]

whereas omitting Check[ ..., $Failed] returns the correct answer {1.,
{x -> 1.5708}}.

This nasty $Failed causes to fail one of my packages where I use
Catch  @  Module[{...},
   Check[..., Throw  @  Message[...];
   ...]

to locate run time errors. I would appreciate very much suggestions
for a work around or an explanation why $Failed is returned.

Best regards,
Hannes Kessler