Re: Plotting a large dataset

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94263] Re: Plotting a large dataset
  • From: "sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 06:59:27 -0500 (EST)

Nikolaus,

I was just wondering: you're trying to plot a list with more than 2
million points. I guess your screen doesn't have the same amount of
pixels horizontally. Do you need all those points or could you do some
sub-sampling?

Anyway, the plot underneath with 6 million reals works for me. It
takes a couple of minutes, since I'm hitting virtual memory, but it
works nevertheless.

ListPlot[Table[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2 \[Pi], 0.000001}]]

Cheers -- Sjoerd

On Dec 8, 1:24 pm, Nikolaus Rath <Nikol... at rath.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have trouble plotting a dataset of 2048000 reals. I tried the
> following code (as recently suggested on the list):
>
> xdata1 = ReadList[prefix <> "1.dat", Real, RecordLists -> False];
> xdata1 = Developer`ToPackedArray[xdata1];
> Dimensions[xdata1]
> (* yields {2048000} *)
> ListPlot[xdata1, PerformanceGoal -> "Speed"]
>
> but I'm simply running out of main memory (2 GB available). Since I
> can plot the same data within seconds using IDL, I guess Mathematica
> should be able to do the same. But how?
>
> Best,
>
>    -Nikolaus
>
> --
>  =C2=BBIt is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the major=
ity.
>   By definition, there are already enough people to do that.=C2=AB
>                                     =
                     -J.H. Hardy