Setting "attributes" for variables?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94308] Setting "attributes" for variables?
  • From: Julian <julianhaw at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 04:46:17 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

I always wondered if it's possible to set, for example, that some
variable X is real and greater than 0 throughout the entire session
that I'm working.  I know of $Assumptions, but it becomes annoying to
have to use Simplify or Refine after every calculation that doesn't
have an assumptions option.  One notable instance is in the units
package.  I constantly get results like Sqrt[Second^2] when clearly
that result is simply Second.  Is there any way to fix this?  I'm
using version 6, by the way.

Julian